OFFICE OF COUNCILWOMAN MONICA RODRIGUEZ LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT 7 EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY PLANNING DEPUTY
Los Angeles City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez is seeking a highly motivated individual interested in serving as planning deputy for the 7th District. The strongest candidates will have: an interest in economic development, civic engagement, environmental justice, transportation and urban planning; a familiarity with the City of Los Angeles Planning Departments processes; excellent organizational, communication and community-relations skills; the experience and sensitivity needed to work effectively with multiple-stakeholder groups and an ability to work well as a member of a team in a fast-paced, political environment. This position will report to the planning director. The 7th Council District includes the communities of Pacoima, Sylmar, Mission Hills, North Hills, Lake View Terrace, Shadow Hills, La Tuna Canyon, Sunland and Tujunga.
POLICY AREAS TO COVER:
Transportation, Housing, Homelessness, Land Use, District Specific Economic Development, Infrastructure
Director of Planning and Economic Development (Director)
- Responsible for planning casework for private and public development projects to advise Councilmember, in consultation with City Departments and the Director
- Follow Council committees related to, and advise the Councilmember and staff on, policy matters within policy areas listed above
- Lead initiatives on District transportation priorities
- Monitor City homelessness policy issues
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with management and line staff in departments dealing with transportation, land use, homelessness and economic development
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with community leaders and groups related to community development
Bachelor’s degree or higher in planning, public policy, public administration, or related field and/or relevant work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal and communication skills.
- Self-directed and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to analyze large volumes of information, manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Have experience and/or interest in housing policy, affordable housing development, environmental and equestrian issues
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
Salary commensurate to experience with benefits package. Please submit a resume and cover letter to Christine Jerian by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “PLANNING DEPUTY” in the subject line.
*This position is an exempt, at-will position. The incumbent will not accrue any civil service tenure or contractual employment rights in such a position. The planning deputy is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of the Council Office, and may be removed without cause.