2019 In Review
As 2019 wraps up this week, I’ve been reflecting on what we’ve accomplished together this year. We provided support to families in need, repaired decades-old infrastructure, prepared our community for emergencies, and brought cultural celebrations to our neighborhoods. It has been an incredibly busy and memorable year, and it is an honor to work with you all to build a better City.
I am so proud to represent the 7th Council District and deliver record investments and improvements to our families in 2019:
- Became the first Latina to serve as Chair of the City’s Public Safety Committee, overseeing nearly two-thirds of the City’s budget and led citywide safety efforts
- Adopted a $10.5 billion budget, the largest in the City’s history
- Secured $26 million in capital and public service investments
- Launched a package of services to support homeless families (resulting in a 28% decrease in homelessness in the 7th District and over 100 individuals served at our Safe Parking site)
- Cut red tape and delivered “Rushing Waters” the largest above ground (measured at 10,000 sq ft) mural in the San Fernando Valley
- Led the City’s enforcement efforts on combating illegal cannabis
- Hosted 11 free movie nights, and cultural celebrations including Pacoima’s Dia de los Muertos, Sylmar Taco Festival, Veteran’s Day Festival, Valentine’s Senior Ball, and Mission Hills Night Market for the 7th District
I will continue fighting for our neighborhoods to improve the quality of life and bring new resources to our community. I am excited for our continued progress in 2020, and I look forward to our continued work together to ensure our neighborhoods achieve their greatest potential.
(🎥 Click on the video to watch highlights from 2018)